Saturday, March 1, 2008

DAY UNO

Well it looks like spring is almost here in wonderful Ventuckey! With the days getting longer and the sun making more regularly scheduled appearances, pretty much everyone here is getting into summer mode. Spring cleaning this year is taking on an odd feel (not that Spring cleaning ever really meant anything to us in the first place!). This is our last week at the avenue apartment which is kinda strange. Georgie is moving up to San Fran to look for work and I am still stuck in the hamster wheel of corporate America going round and round and round and round and round and, well you get the point. I gave my "two week" notice back in October with the goal of being in Portland, OR or Denver or San Fran myself sometime in January or February. Unfortunately it has not quite worked out the way I had anticipated. So March first is coming on up and change is in the air as well as burnt fish tacos left over from lunch but that is another story.

It being an election year, the stuffed shirts are all jammering about how they are the instruments of change yadda yadda yadda. No matter how red or blue you run, changed doesn't come from a talking head. Okay enough preaching, suffice to say it is coming quickly to SoCal. Of course with the excitement comes some strangeness as well. No biggie really, endings and change in and of itself is always a little odd, no matter how welcomed. I am getting ready and going through the process to move into my car. I am actually kind of excited for it to be honest. At least it is change, and I am all about change right now, no matter what that change brings (granted I like change so much more if I find it unexpectedly in my coat pocket and it will get me an extra latte before work). Anyhow the plan is to spend the next few weeks or months living in the car and documenting it for a short picture story/documentary/short film. Who knows where it will go.

The goal is to not spend more then two nights in a row at the same location and not to spend more then three nights a week in the same place. I really want it to force me to be out and about and not to settle on a certain spot or situation just because my life craves regularity all of a sudden. I am slowly ever so slowly starting to get really attracted to the liberation involved in not being confined to a box called home. Seriously I can go anywhere and hopefully will be able to take full advantage of it.

There are some things I am a little concerned about, like hygiene, storing food & a proper diet w/o refrigeration, or getting harassed by the cops (Fuckers!!!), homeless, drunk co-eds, cranky land owners, park rangers, deranged surfers, family and friends (who are collectively ALL totally against this). But for the time being, I have accepted the fact that this is an eventuality and have chosen not to worry about any of that. If it happens it happens and there is not much I can do the change that now.

The goal is to take a self-portrait each day of my sleeping situation and quick pics here and there along the way. Also I would like to film a few minutes each night of what I am going through and do quick video interviews with myself each night a la Survivor, Big Bother and any other reality show on the boob. Ideally I would like to post quick updates w/ pics and audio each day to my blog. That may prove to be a little difficult because I do not have a laptop and running the desktop computer off the car battery may not prove to be the best idea. So we will see. There are lots and lots of question marks to be determined. But I imagine I will cross the bridge when I get there.

The first of March is quickly upon us, and with it the start of this homeless car bound misadventure (my fingers are crossed). I spent the last few days doing as much indoor activities as I could-- reading, sleeping in, drinking beer for breakfast, watching movies, cooking, painting and blogging of course. Soon enough I will not be able to do any of that any more. I mean seriously, as much as I would like to, I just will not be able to follow Gray's Anatomy every Thursday. Dang it ! Not that that is a bad thing, change though at times awkward, is always welcome. And this is going to be a huge change.

The very last evening in the apartment, the humble abode that has served us so well for the last 2+ years. It is a mellowing thought leaving here. There are a lot of memories tangled up between these four walls. From painting parties to sangria nights, to crazy unannounced Bama visits, water fights, margarita popsicles, amazing sunsets, discussions of abstract pointlessness, hours pretending to be Bukowski, great tunes, and lots of experimental cooking we had it all. But new adventures await, and with them many new stories and hopefully a picture or two. We shall see, that is the only constant here.



The entire apartment is packed away except for the paintings. Okay now big breathe, this really is IT!



Everything I need to live these next few weeks is right here. This will make up my meager car living existence. The yellow Osprey bag for play clothes, black North Face for work clothes, red Bean bag for emergency change of clothes and cooking schwag, blue Timbuk2 bag for writing/reading/photo gear, Domke bag for cameras schtuff, and of course my trusty sleeping bag. Everything else I own in this corporal world is tucked away safe and sound in a storage locker. And so with one last night on the Avenue, we are soon off into the great blue yonder.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Keep me posted i check every morning to see what your up to before i go to work good luck and god speed