Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The First Week

Day 6
Thursday March 6th
I spent most of the day running errands and tying up loose ends so to speak. It is really amazing how much energy goes into living out of your car! In a way it is incredibly liberating because you can go anywhere, do anything and just crash out whenever you feel like it. On the other hand it is pretty difficult to accomplish anything close to productive when you don’t have a base from which to operate. After getting gas for the stove, buying a new alarm clock, finding a lace to charge batteries, checking the mail, stopping by the storage unit to re-supply and a hundred other small things the daylight had burnt out.

Instead of wasting more time to find a place to crash I once again headed to my little retreat at the Surf Shack. I grilled up some amazing fajitas from scratch of course. We lit a roaring fire in the chimenea and hung out by the fire light. It was a relaxing evening for a change.


"Fajitas...!"


The SurfShack (I can't quite find focus...).



Day 5
Wednesday March 5th
I finally got my lens today! It is about time, now I can really kick this whole documentation thingy up a notch or two! I headed back to the old neighborhood on the Avenue for the evening. Peaches was back in town and we aimed at devouring a few bottles of California’s finest reds and brain storm on a few doc projects. It was a really cool evening to say the least. I got to touch base with some old old friends from my first years at Brooks. It is always fun to catch up on old times and swap stories about what everyone has been up to. I swear almost every sentence started with "Hey do you remember So-and-so...?" or "Dude, remember the time you...!?!" It was cool. Peaches and I have this horrible habit of always talking about hanging out and never really doing it. Needless to say it was definitely due.

Towards the end of our jam session we got onto the topic of doing a doc on eco-terrorism and the environmental movement. Peaches is getting the framework together to do a super rad piece on Derrick Jensen. If you haven’t read his stuff, you are severely doing a disservice to yourself and your community. It can be pretty revolutionary, but well worth it. It was super cool to brainstorm all the way through the environmental movement. We ragged on everyone from Emerson and Thoreau to John Muir, Edward Abbey and even Eustace Conway.


The perfect time to start taking notes on environmental activism?
After you finish your bottle of wine of course!




Day 4
Tuesday March 4th
Work today was a real bear. I get so tired of “learned” people. It seems like once you earn the right to tag assorted initials (PhD, MFT, LPC, LCSW, MD, etc) that you also received a glorified stick to be inserted superficially into your nether regions. I was so worn out that I really had no interest or energy to devote to looking for a place to crash. Instead I headed over to the surf shack and visited with my old friend PonyBoy. We hung out and watched a documentary on the ’88 Dodgers. I am not much of a Dodgers fan and all, but boy I tell you, that was one heck of a baseball team!
Truly one of the last absolutely momentous World Series!


Day 3
Monday March 3rd
After work I wandered down to the beach and watched the latter parts of a rocket blast off from Vandenberg. The rocket contrails left a really funky trail in the sky, almost directly above the setting sun. I hung out until it was too dark to write and then headed down the beach in search of a pay phone.


Ventuckey, Bakersfield by the Sea


Rockets from Vendenberg at sun set...

The line up.

After about a two mile walk I found these two pristine phones side by side just mere yards from the surf break. It was grand! Unfortunately neither worked. So back down the tussled sand I went looking and looking. Finally I found an old clunky PacBell pay phone on the pier and spent the night catching up with friends. You can imagine the looks I got from the passersby. What the crap, who still uses pay phones? Yah right!







Day 2
Sunday March 2nd

Today was a pretty gnarly day. I spent the morning finishing up with all the cleaning. I scrubbed down the stove, have you ever cleaned a stove? Man what a pain in the butt! Seriously stove cleaning is the most anti-ergonomic thing I can think of. To get into all the nooks and crannies of a stove it is a cross between full-impact yoga and drunken Twister. After about two hours I smelt like vinegar, BO, orange degreaser and burnt cheese—vegan cheese to make matters worse.
As I was taking out the last bag of garbage and empty cleaning supply bottles, I let the door close behind me. Of course I had already turned in my keys so there was no way to get back in. It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon, the sun was shining, the birds were singing so I took it as a sign that this was it. It was time to move. I left all the unfinished cleaning for the professionals scheduled to tear the place apart the next morning.

Proud with what I accomplished I headed over to Dargan’s Irish Bar for a quick steak. I figured I was owed a little me time. There I bumped into Isabella and his lovely lady friend we refer kindly to as the wife. After a few drinks they convinced me to crash on there floor. I was much obliged indeed! We spent the entire evening watching this mind-blowing documentary series about folks that should be dead. Now there is something I can relate to!



1 comment:

Dylan Isbell said...

A great evening it twas! Ya, a little too familiar of a show.. I was too drunk to relate the two. Any who where the f@#k are you?