Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Days 108- 120

Day 120
Saturday June 28th

After being rudely awakened by the farmers I headed out of town and hiked around the lower Ojai valley. When my legs were sufficiently stretched I tackled the growing pile of mail and bills collecting in the storage unit. Afterwards I headed back to town and went bowling for Sara's birthday. I rolled a 118, poor poor poor...


Some people check their mail & pay bills in their study, others on the kitchen table, others do it in the office-- me, I do it in the middle of a cool mountain stream with a video camera catching everything.


Day 119
Friday June 27th

Blew some steam off with the boys up and down Main Street. Afterward I crashed in the car (no surprise by now right) only to wake up at flippin 5:24am and whole farmer's market was being built around the Focus. You should have seen some of the looks I got from the day laborers when I popped out of the back seat, into the front seat and drove away. Classic!



Day 118
Thursday June 26th



There is a story here, trust me...



Day 117

Wednesday June 25th

Went down to see Andrea's bro's band The All For Nots play Jimmy Kimmel Live! (I am putting this in bold to accentuate how badass I am that I know someone whose brother played on LIVE television!) It was a rad LA experience. We chilled in the infamous Kimmel green room all night-- totally Hollywood!


(oh and ps. Ms. Maggie Gyllenhaal I love you & you're a doll but this is never going to work out. You're married for goodness sake! Please stop calling me!)




check out their performance here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM9YjnhXf2Q
and their myspace page here: www.myspace.com/theallfornots




Day 116
Tuesday June 24th

Work just plain tuckered me out. After I went down to the beach and read until it was too dark. Then I drove over to my little spot and crashed out. For car sleeping, I slept rather soundly. It looks like I am getting used to all this after all.


The Last Kabbalist of Lisbon (by Richard Zimler)-- interesting to say the least.


Day 115
Monday June 23rd

Went on up the hill to Saron's house for a little birthday BBQ. It was quite chill indeed and a great way to ease into a rather chaotic work week. I got to play with the dogs, all four of them. At the same time-- really that is whats important.


Again for those of you keeping score at home, the dang pedometer stats:

Tuesday 8437
Wednesday 7902
Thurs 11254
Fri 9180
Sat 6265
Sun 22881
Mon 2533 (June 23rd)


I'm surprised I haven't broken this thing yet...


Day 114
Sunday June 22nd

I napped again all day for the most part, in the car, down off the CPH. I had a little sushi cause lets face it, even though I live in my car I still like to be pampered occasionally. I think it was Keri who colored it out perfectly when she said I was a "hedonist extraordinaire, despite your vagabond tendencies." Nihilistic Hedonism or Hedonistic Nihilism, I like the ring to that. I think I will title my next book that, or my next religious cult.



A couple Ginsberg poems, tunes courtesy of Leonard Cohen, sunshinny day at the beach, and raw fish--
don't knock it 'til you try it!


Day 113
Saturday June 21st

MESOA went a little later then I had anticipated. As I really didn't have any where else to go and I was really growing tired of trying to catch Zzzzz's in the back of the car I took action. I found a quiet little spot behind the fire and set up camp. Covered by the reflection of the flames no one suspected a thing. Within minutes I was stretched out in my sleeping bag and in a state of near bliss. That is until the last party-goer cashed out around 3:30 in the AM. Being a gentleman he decided to wake me up to let me know everyone was gone and I could crash on the couch. Dang it! I was so sleeping bro', and comfy too...

The next morning neighbor Lisa came on over asking for a hand with some flowers. PonyBoy and I snapped to and jumped at the opportunity. We spent the rest of the day helping to prepare flower pots for a wedding in Ojai. It was fun and definitely nothing I had ever done before. What a super cool way to start the weekend. Granted it would had been even better if I hadn't pulled something in my shoulder whilst proudly patting myself repeatedly on the back for the dead well done.

We spent the rest of the afternoon lounging around the Surf Shack relaxing and listening to garage bands, purely punk of course. Later in the evening as it cooled a bit I walked down town. It is amazing how much a town livens up as the cool sea breeze sweeps inland and the sun starts to set. Main street was on fire with sun dresses blowing in the breezes. I met up with Andrea & Dana and we took in the business from the patio of the Chach. It was mellow end to a mellow day. It was one of those days were you really accomplish little and feel great about it.


Hugging the shade, trying to pot everything before the sun gets too too hot.


"Gain knowledge of the big but small earth around you
Dig your hands into the dirt, the dirt that made you
Get acquainted with the earth, the earth that eventually will take you
And the world that hopefully will appear to wake you
Children play with Earth!"
-Arrested Development


Day 112
Friday June 20th

MESOA, seriously need I say more.


Day 111
Thursday June 19th

The last time I was hassled by Ventuckey's finest, they pointed me over to the back lot behind Target. The officers hinted that they funnel a lot of the car-bound folks there whenever they come across them. Hoping to make a few decent contacts and to slowly integrate myself into their lives off I went. It was not exactly what I had anticipated.


Target, not much happening, we break out the book and wait.


And wait and wait and wait and wait and, crappola I sense a pattern here.



Day 110
Wednesday June 18th

Car camping filming day 3, take 36701aa-- you know it is funny really. I have yet to be able to find any place within a three hour drive or any place online that carries extended life batteries for this dang video camera. So basically I can film 40 minutes of tape, then spend two hours recharging only to get another 40 minutes of tape. Instead of shooting one night in sleeping in the car I am now on night 3 and my back is none too happy. Thankfully tonight was just filling in spots missed and bad audio from the first two nights.
I think this may be it.



Day 109
Tuesday June 17th

Car camping filming day 2, take 23098x-- oh and in the middle of it all the Celts win game 6 by a frikin landslide 92- 131! Boston brings back the NBA Championship to Beantown! I wish I could celebrate and toss a few down like the rowdies are most certainly doing back home but I gotta stay on task and keep hammering away on this film project. There is always next year, or the World Series, or the Super Bowl...



Day 108
Monday June 16th

Started shooting a piece on how it is to live in the back seat of a small American car. Car camping filming day 1, take 0001a.


And for those keeping score at home, here is the last week's reading from the pedometer:

Tuesday 10101
Wednesday 12832
Thurs 14403
Fri 6670
Sat 2881
Sun 3469
Mon 4335 (today June 16th)

No comments: