Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The First Week

The First Week et. al.

After work on Friday I cooked dinner for the new room mates. We hung out on the patio, watched the sun set, swapped Maine jokes, and munched on smelly french cheese. Okay I swapped Maine humour as everyone politely pretended to listen. Y'all missed out on some bomb diggity lasagna.



Dinner.


Michelle, lasagna, and Stephen.


The roommates and their humans.


Us, and you.



_____________________________________________________________________




Day 209
Wednesday Sept. 24th

I suppose it is really day 1 now, not 209. Interesting. More thoughts to come once they get all unjumbled.




Day 208

Tuesday Sept. 23rd


I suppose you could say I am finally moved in. This whole house thing is kinda screwing with my head right now. I delayed and made excuses and dragged my feet but there is no turning back now. Dude I live in a house-- frikin' strange after all this time. It will take some getting used to.





Day 207

Monday Sept. 22nd

Bought a luffa today. Never saw that coming!





Day 206
Sunday Sept. 21st

Moving day. It happened. Ouch!



After 7 full months & change, any semblance of organization is a coincidental myth.


Moving; its really just relocating a bunch of smaller boxes from one big box to another big box.debatable. In this case though, "big" is debatable.




Day 205
Saturday Sept. 20th

I had an early breakfast (ie. strong French Roast) w/ Boyce on the front steps in Redondo Beach. It was very pastoral and went a long way to sweeping away the cob webs from the nights show. Before traffic could get crazy I was out and headed north on the coastal road by half past 8 in the AM. I made it back to Ventuckey just in time to catch a friend for brunch (ie. not very strong American coffee) at the Golden Egg. After the drive it hit the spot.

I went to the house to pick up a key but no one was home. Honestly I was a little releaved. First off when faced with moving back into four walls and a roof, I was a little chicken. As my time in the car comes to a temporary hiatus, it is easy to focus on the romantic aspects of it all. It is easy to block out the cold lonely nights, all the stress of being hassled by Johnny Law, the boredom, the hassle of living day to day without any thing to call home except the back of a small compact car. It is easy to focus instead on the amazing sunsets, the crazy characters I met along the way, the laissez- faire attitude coupled w/ a fair bit of je ne sais quio. Some days I never thought it would end, other days I hoped it wouldn't. Now here I am and all of a sudden its really over. So yah I was a tad bit timid and looing for any excuse to not have to follow through with the whole moving thing.

I was more then happy to find a nice shaddy spot under a tree in the drive way and crack open my new book. I am a huge fan of Neil Stephenson. though huge is an understatement. I had just received a prelease version of his latest novel Anathem and it was killing me that I hadn;t had time to really roll up the sleeves and dig in. As with any Stephenson tome, it takes a good four or five hundred pages for the story to really begin and the action to heat up. I was slowly plowing through one page after another wiating for the action to heat up. Yup yup yup I was more then happy to spend an afternoon in the sun finally able to read uninterupted for a bit. Ostensibly my excuse was that I was waiting for someone to show up with a key. Honestly though I could care a less about moving by now. I read until about 6ish then went down tot eh beach for a quick dip and dinner in the sand. Then off to a deserted industrial alley to read the night away. All told it was a very productive non-day!

No comments: