Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Day 225 & Forward

Day 225
Tuesday December 30th

I have been dragging my feet as diligently as possible these last few weeks. I think I have put more effort into continued procrastination at this point then actually just moving on with the project. I can craft an iron clad excuse to procrastinate out of vapors and other such nothingness. I can make the most twisted logic seem feasible when it comes to lazily delaying. Unfortunately this vacation can only go on for so long. It looks like the time to get on with it is now. So here we go.

We have had a nice little respite from the backseat of the Focus. We have had a nice comfy corner to snuggle up in as the winter storms pelted us with cold wind and rain. Its is time though to get back out into the car and into the community. This time it will be a little different though much will remain the same. When I first started this I really had no idea where the story would take me. I still have no idea where the story will take me but this time there is less apprehensiveness and a tad more excitement. When I first started the goal was "to not spend more then two nights in a row at the same location and not to spend more then three nights a week in the same place. I really want it to force me to be out and about and not to settle on a certain spot or situation just because my life craves regularity all of a sudden. I am slowly ever so slowly starting to get really attracted to the liberation involved in not being confined to a box called home. Seriously I can go anywhere and hopefully will be able to take full advantage of it."
That hasn't changed, though the reality of the constant moving about from parking lot to parking lot to abandoned alley way to shut down factories to dimly lit beaches to more abandoned alley ways is not nearly as enticing as it was a year ago.

This time is going to be a little different. When I first started the initial couple of months were all about learning the ropes. I had no idea how to be homeless and had a lot to learn. Granted it took me longer then expected, but hey I never said I was a quick learner! Once I got the hang out it I was really focused on documenting the struggle to survive. Its a real chore let me tell you just to survive on the streets alone let alone film and document all of it. This time around the foundation has been laid. This time around the goal is to be much more visible in the community. I hope to slowly integrate my life with those of fellow car bound folks here in Ventuckey and Santa Barbara. The next few months are to be more about the community then my story. It is certainly a much larger and much more difficult challenge. We will play it by ear and see how it goes.

When I first started there were plenty question marks to keep me up at night. Those questions are still there, their answers seemingly more elusive. With that, off we go into the cold clear California night. A few more months, a few more sleepless nights, a few more crazy experiences to tell the grand kids, a few more baths in the river here we come. Brrrr!




*As I currently don't have one of those cool little black boxes that make images of whatever you point it at, I will do my best to keep these posts visually stimulating but I promise nothing (grin).

No comments: