Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Days 238- 241


Day 241
Thursday Jan. 15th

I found an old roll of Fujichrome slide film stuck in a shoebox in the back of my closet. I thought it would be cool to do a quick test roll playing around with different exposure values to capture star trails. I experimented with four and five hour exposures and really pushed the reciprocity failure envelope. That was like August of 2007 or something like that. Because I was doing such long exposures I really didn't want to shoot unless the night sky was no brighter then 2% illumination from the moon. This means I can feasibly shoot only two or three days out of each month. On a good night I could get one or two exposures at the most before the sun began to rise. So you can see how this project could drag on. By the time my 10D died I was pretty much over the whole test roll idea anyhow. So when BamBam and I took off to Santa Barbara to climb away the new year I grabbed the 1V and shot a few climbing pics.


Lower Lake, Rose Valley, 2.5 hour exposure at f2.8 on Fujichrome Velvia 50, summer 2007.




Midnight sun in Joshua Tree, 5 minute exposure on Fujichrome Velvia 50, summer 2007.




Climbing in the clouds at Lizard's Mouth. The clouds break for a quick sec and the radiant sunset streams through briefly. January 2009.




Self portrait, Lizard's Mouth. Shooting film at 1.8 can be quite the challenge. Shooting self portraits on film at f1.8 can be even more so. January 2009.



I was super excited to pic the slides up after processing. It was like Christmas as a kid! It killed me to have to wait a full day to pick them up. I guess I have been spoiled by the instant gratification of digital cameras. You shoot, you sneak a peak. Its not like the old days where you had days to wait to see if you had anything salvageable. Shooting primarily in backwoods podunk areas like Albania, Bulgaria, Beirut, and Maine there were times I had to wait weeks for a roll of slides to come back. So it could have been worse then just an overnight wait. Besides considering the fact that it had been over a year and a half since I first popped the film in the 1V, its not like I was in any sort of hurry!




Day 240
Wednesday Jan. 14th

Spent the night in the car for the 1st time since New Years-- one word: ouch!




Day 239
Tuesday Jan. 13th
Bick brought home a bucket of Black Turban Snails from the boat. He boiled them up over the fire and plucked those suckers right out onto our waiting plates. They were strange at first, chewy and gritty, But give it a second to ruminate and a slight hint of lobster could be had. It was pretty darn good eating once you got used to the chewiness!

Later I slept on the couch outside again. I didn't sink this time...



Day 238
Monday Jan. 12th

I crashed on a buddies couch outside on the patio. The wind was blowing like crazy. It took me forever to get my sleeping bag to lay just so so I could crawl in and pass out. Once that was accomplished I was snug as a bug in a rug sipping tea from a mug. About an hour or two before dawn I had the craziest weirdest dream. I always have goofy dreams when i sleep in strange places. One summer as a kid back in Maine (I was about 5 or 6 and full of piss and vinegar), there was this dude Bill Dunlop who set the record for crossing the Atlantic in the smallest sail boat ever. He sailed the 9 foot Wind's Will from Maine to Falmouth, England in 2 1/2 months. Every few nights or so there would be a quick vignette on the evening news of his progress or a related story. He was a super man to me!

Anyhow back to the dream. The wind was rocking the wicker couch back and forth all night and blowing rain and moisture all over me. I dreamt I was sailing Wind's Will around the globe and was lost in a storm and about to capsize. (note: Dunlop was lost at sea somewhere around the Cook Islands in a hurricane when he was trying to sail around the world.) I was absolutely terrified. It was crying and being tossed every which way hugging the lone mast like poor Truman escaping from the Truman Show. The waves were massive and gray and super pissed off. Then I realized it had been a decade or two since I had sailed a tiny monohull. Panic set in! What the crap was I doing sailing this bath tub solo? Then I woke up and realized it was just a dream. It took my head a while though to be fully convinced the couch wasn't sinking. Go figure. Okay thats all I gots...





No comments: