Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Lizard's

Lizard's
Outside of Santa Barbara, Calif.

You may have noticed I have been shooting quite a bit of surfing and by default, surfers. This weekend the sun was shinning and the rock was seductively tantalizing. It was time to get away from the beach and hit the hills for a quick burn. We were fortunate, the predicted winter (winter? it was in the 80s?) swell didn't hit Sunday after all leaving the ocean flat and calm from Trestles to Tarantulas. With the lack of waves I was able to pry Bick away from his short board for an afternoon in the Santa Barbara mountains. It was his first climbing experience. After a few burns on a couple classic problems he readily admitted he was addicted. Nice...




Before finishing up with a sunset session at Lizard's we hit up Painted Cave (both the climbing spot and the Chumash site) and then Knapp's Castle. I never noticed the mortar work on the old chimney before. It caught my eye. I couldn't help but admire the intricate beauty-- a mix of man's hard work and nature's ravaging patience. It was amazing. I couldn't help myself. I was taken by its natural beauty and serenity so I climbed it. Barefoot.


Lizard's Mouth, the paddle out.


Dropping in and about to be barrelled, looking for an all access pass into the (sandstone) "green room."


Goofy Foot going Richter.

No comments: