Sunday, June 8, 2008

Days 81- 88

Day 88
Tuesday May 27th

Lakers clinch the series by squeaking out a 93- 91 victory. Can the Celtics pull it off against Detroit? That would be rad-- Celtics v Lakers in the finals! Just like the good ole' days back when I actually followed b-ball. Man the media will have a hay day if Boston wins and ends up facing LA. We will be so sick of dreamy over-hyped spots showcasing Pat Riley & Red, Bird & Magic, and all the rest. They are cram nostalgia down our throats I bet. That is IF Boston wins...



Day 87
Monday May 26th
Memorial Day

Went for a hike all day, forgot to put a CF card in my camera , spent all hike kicking myself. Slept in the car at the trail head, spent all night kicking myself in my dreams.


Oh sure, I remember to take a photo now...



Day 85 & 86
Sat. & Sun. May 24th & 25th

I went back to the Vixen's place in midtown with the idea that I would spend all day painting. It rained on and off all weekend. I used it as an excuse to watch TV and talk on the phone all weekend long. I went to sleep restless and disappointed in myself on Sunday. I totally blew a whole weekend catching up with my soaps. What the crap...!


Cheers! Where everybody Knows your name...




Day 84
Friday May 23rd
Caught the Laker's game w/ PonyBoy up at the Ojai Adobe. Lakers won by 30! The majority of the game was about as interesting as mud.

Day 83
Thursday May 22nd
Detroit Pistons 101- Boston Celtics 97
Crap!




Day 82
Wednesday May 21st

I called in sick today, because well I was sick. It is an interesting experience being sick and living in you compact sedan. Think about every thing you do when you are home with the flu-- the routine, the small comforts, the little things you do to help make it through the day. Now imagine trying to do that in the back of a dusty American car. Righto!




Day 81
Tuesday May 20th


After work I met up with Isabella again and headed over to the Bench Warmer to catch the Celitcs- Pistons conference finals hoops match-up. It was a good game, the Celts played hard and walked away with a win. We ended up hanging out and flirting with a rather buxomed bartender with a penchant for handing me free drink creations. Isabella and I had a really cool conversation about the philosophy of happiness and fulfillment. The one thing we kept coming back to, which is kind of a theme for this whole blog, is that no matter what your situation is, it could always be better or worse.

Sometimes it is easy for me to say "Man I wish I had a lop top. Then I could get editing and writing and surfing done whenever I needed. Lugging this desktop and trying to find power & internet access can be a real pain! If I had a lap top I could cruise around and be totally free to do whatever." Or I will find myself saying, "Man if I had a truck with a camper shell or a van, this living thing would be so much easier. I could park any where and have a half-way normal life. This car living is KILLING me! It is so stressful to try and find a place in town where I won't be disturbed, some place where I can get a good night sleep stretched out on the ground instead of cramped in the back of the Focus!" But in all honesty if I had a laptop or lived in a van, there would still be things that would not be ideal. Having a truck or lap top doesn't bring happiness. There are plenty of people all around me that bitch & complain about their lots in life-- and they have a lap top!

In fact over the last few months I have seen that the people with the most toys do the most complaining. Almost all of the bums and drunks I have spent time with the last few months almost never complain about being poor, destitute, or homeless. Most are surprisingly optimistic. I don't want to pain their lifestyle in a romantic Kerouac-sense, it is incredibly hard, worrisome, and at times very sketchy and super dangerous. But these folks never bitch that they're tent has holes or that they haven't showered in weeks. They accept it and move on, or drown themselves in $2 40s of skunked malt liquor. That is my goal for the time being, not the malt liquor part, but rather accepting my situation for what it is and embracing it. Fulfillment is, not to get all zen buddha on you, fulfillment is a state of mind.

I am trying now to embrace the harsh reality I am faced with and rejoice in the fact that I am always presented with the opportunity to step outside my comfort zone and challenge my horizons. In a way I am incredibly fortunate in that regard. How often do house-bound professionals get to challenge themselves and experience something totally different? I get to do it ever day. In a way I am lucky!

Oh yah and somewhere in the midst of it all, I turned 31, hmmmm....