Saturday, May 17, 2008

Days 73, 74, 75, 76

Day 76
Thursday May 15th

I was in a bad bad mood all day. I have no idea why. Sometimes you know you just feel foul and dark for no particular reason. That was me today. Coworkers were annoying me, I was snappy with customers, nothing seemed to be rolling my way, I kept smashing fingers in doors and tripping over the carpet. Nothing seemed to roll my way. It was frustrating. I figured a hike was in order to burn off this pent up aggression and frustration. Off to the hills I headed, stopping first off course to pick up some attitude adjustment enhancement.

The hike was just what I needed. I laced up the new shoes determined to put them through their paces. With about two hours of daylight remaining the temps were still in the low 80s and I was loving it. I pounded through rivers, up and down cliff sides, across streams, over and under huge boulders and did my best to break in the new kicks. Finally I arrived at the cap site for the night and the new shoes didn't look haggard at all. I was impressed! I spent some time cleaning up the site, picking up trash, rebuilding the fire circle, gathering firewood, and getting settled in in general. After the frantic pace of the hike and spending about an hour dragging huge logs of driftwood up the banks of the river I was bloody exhausted and sweating like a stuck pig.

I was nasty, and with the river bank and camp site being covered in a thick cover of dust, I felt pretty much like I had been rolled in batter and deep fried. I went down to the river to clean up just as sun was setting. I quickly gave up on trying to simply wash up in the river. Instead I stripped down and jumped in. It was glorious indeed! I must have soaked for about two hours under this little waterfall. The next morning I woke up with the sunrise. Four mule deer were munching grass along the river about 20 feet from my sleeping bag. What a great way to wake up! I was definately in a much better mood for change.


I was well in need of an attitude adjustment AND an altitude adjustment.


Setting out across the first of many river crossings on my attitude adjustment endeavor.


After a few futile minutes trying to wash up I decided river enjoyment was not a spectator sport. I stripped down and jumped in and spent the rest of the day under the waterfall soaking. Glorious indeed!




Day 75
Wednesday May 14th
UnderBridge

So I finally did it, I spent a night under the 101 in the river bottom. Let me tell you it will never happen again! There are some freaky folks down there. A few years back we had done a couple portrait sessions under the bridges taking advantage of the rad graffiti down there. We never had any problems or felt uncomfortable. Then again there was always a group of three or four of us. It is not so easy to be brave when it is pitch black out and you are all alone. The evening started out pleasantly enough. I shared a campfire circle with about a dozen 20-somethings that are homeless and had been camping in the river bottom for a few weeks. Most of the kids were just passing through either going south to LA or San Diego or trying to make their way north to Portland or Seattle. For the most part they were mellow and chill.

When it came to turning in for the night I politely excused myself and found a deserted underpass to crash under. The group had been friendly enough but I didn't really think they trusted me all that much and really didn't want to push my luck. I was a little sketched out to actually close my eyes now that I was by myself in the darkness. I had almost stumbled in to a BIG group of gang bangers earlier and there were all sorts of creepy folks drifting around under the bridges. Finally exhaustion took over and I fell into an uneasy restless sleep. A few hours later, about 2ish or so in the AM, I am wakened by this strange sensation. I heard this deep grunting and a weird raspy voice. The air was cluttered with a horrid stench of stale wine & BO. Something was yanking on my legs and cursing.

As my eyes adjusted to the shadows I realized some crazy wino was trying to steal my sleeping bag while I was inside it! I was not quite sure how to react. I mean seriously I had just been woken up and the cob webs were thick. I had no idea what was going on what to do. Finally I yelled at this shadowy figure. He just peered at me through his hairy face and didn't move. Finally he hisses at me "You're lucky I didn't poke you in your sleep...!" And then he starts yanking at the bag jerking me all over the sand trying to pull it free. I kept yelling at him but I still wasn't sure what was going on. Was he really going to stab me for my sleeping bag? That seems like a really lame way to go. Should I just give him the bag and call it good? As I was wondering what to do next he finally gave up and disappeared into the bamboo shadows. I almost right then and there high-tailed it back tot he car. I didn't though. I was absolutely determined that I would spend at least one night, one whole night, in the river bottom like the real homeless folks here in the Ventuckey. So I stayed. Needless to say I didn't sleep at all for the rest of the night. I didn't even lay back down. I plopped my back against the concrete wall and jumped at every little tiny noise. It was a long long night. As soon as the sun poked its head out I called it good. Sunset to sunrise that was goal, one night and we made due.


Not too friendly to outsiders.


40 winks with my eyes open (yes I was counting).






Day 74
Tuesday May 13th

Being homeless I spend a lot of time reading. I suppose it is a good thing. I mean for real, how many other folks get to burn through a book or two a week and manage to climb the corporate ladder? It works for me. I usually blow out of work as quickly as I can, which honestly can be close to 6ish on some days. Depending on the day I am totally free to blow on up int the hills and read until the sun sets. Sometimes it is incredibly fulfilling. Other times it fails to fill the void and leaves you wanting. Regardless you take each day as it comes and make due as best you can. If I have a bummer of a day, I know it is only a few days later on that it will all be worth while. It is the days that you drive up in to the hills, partake of an AMAZING sunset and splash through a great book that I look forward to. The adventure will continue with or without me, this much is certain. Hopefully when the adventure is in full swing, it will allow me a good book or four to enjoy by a quiet stream between the craziness.


In the hills just before sun down with a quick read by the maestro himself John Le Carre. Bang out a few chapters, cook dinner, and it is time for bed and a new dawn in a few hours. With the new day comes a whole new bag of potential and promise. Man I can't wait!






Day 73
Monday May 12th

It rained this morning. I barely got the sleeping bag and crash pad back to the car before everything was soaked in the downpour. I was miserable, cold, and soggy. I didn't sleep much after that. I shoulda taken a picture. But I was too busy being miserable watching the rain outside of the car windows to do so.



No comments: