Friday, May 16, 2008

Day 72

Day 72
Sunday May 11th
Mother's Day / Pirate Fest


As I was in Ojai anyhow I decided to swing by Lake Casitas for the Pirate Festival. I had never been before and always wanted to. It sounded trippy-- hundreds of grown-ups playing dress up, waving swords around, and talking like a crusty old sea dog. It was definately fun, bizarre, but fun! I learned the finer points of boarding a merchant vessel in high seas under fire, how best to swing from the yardarm without falling in the drink (or screaming like a 6 year old little girl), which parrots are best suited to ocean life, how to pick out lace cravattes that aren't too feminine, and how best to hack off some scurvied mutineers head. I ate turkey legs the size of a small child and drank grog out of a dented metal stein. It was tres cool.


Queen's court.


From left to right-- Robin (minus his merry men), Mary (yes her eyes are green in case you didn't notice), and some dude w/ a boatload (literally) of rum.



I am scary, I am a pirate, I like wearing me misses silk undies. Arrrrrrgh!


Sitting by the dock of the bay, Elizabethan style.


Its not a gun matey! Narrrrgh, its a cannon boy! Pray you won't see it close up broadside staring yargh down!


These poor sods had never seen a wee lil' box that makes a drawing of their likeness. I call it a camera. They call it a devil box w/ a rummed out leprechaun inside slaving away with a paint brush. Let the wee leprechaun out they say. Bulox I say.


More Pirate theatre.

No comments: