Thursday, January 5, 2012

Falafel



Falafel
Ventuckey, Calif.
Jan. 2012




I tried my hand at making falafel. Running around in the middle east falafel stands are as common as Starbucks here. They literally dot every city block of Istanbul, Beirut, or Damascus. It is great street food-- fast, cheap, tasty. Wrap 'em up in pita bread or on a stick, its comfort food. Needless to say the very idea of hot falafel on a warm January afternoon had me reminiscing about simpler times when I was a lot younger and a little dumber. Memories of a time where grabbing street food and watching sunset over the Med was a nightly ritual.

I whipped up my best mint yogurt sauce. The tangy sweetness is characteristic of middle east cuisine and a must have for traditional falafel. With hot oil popping around my knucles I grabbed each little ball of fried memories once they reached a golden brown. A big mug of sweat tea and a spot under the banana trees completed the setting. I gobbled up the first one and by the gods it was horrible. It tasted like musty old chalk dust. I was sorely disappointed. Big fail.

This must be a sign to pack the bags and head back to Beirut. Spring break is only a few months away after all....




Fail.

No comments: